From an article written by Mrs. Walter Vesper:
“The Sharon public library was started in the summer of 1915 and opened Jan. 22, 1916, under the auspices of the Sharon Woman’s club. Its first location was in a room at the village hall, the use of which, along with heating and lighting, was furnished by the village board.
The books were mostly those donated by residents, and the library was financed by donations from interested citizens and money earned by the Woman’s club.
Librarian work was done voluntarily by various members of the Woman’s club. One of the most faithful was Miss Rose Dullam, who served until her death.
Year by year the number of volumes at the library grew as donations of books were given and purchases made form the proceeds of suppers, sales and plays and through help given by the state library commission. This organization sent library visitors and workers to encourage the local library in its work. For many years books also were furnished by the traveling library of the state. New books were placed on a table and a small rental fee was charged and when the books had paid for themselves they were placed on the shelves with the regular books.”
“Brigham Memorial Library in History”
Compiled by Dorothy Greig and presented to the Brigham Memorial Library Board on Wednesday, March 23, 1983.
History of the Library Building
The Brigham Memorial Library was started when Henry Brigham donated his home to the Village of Sharon. The library opened on January 22, 1916 with Rose Dullam as the first Librarian. In 1994, after a successful fund raising effort, two new rooms were built on to the original house. The library is listed on the State Historic Registry.